Thursday, March 19, 2015

Deadliest Web Traffic Killers in 2011


Hey you. Yes… you! I just finished visiting your website and I’ve got to say it was one of the most painful experiences I’ve gone through in quite some time.
Even for an expert in all things, I had a hard time navigating it.  It’s painfully difficult.
I was searching for some information there. It was nearly impossible and every minute that I wasted made it more and more painful to continue.  Finally I broke.



“Excuse me.  I’ll be right back.”  I pushed my chair away from my desk and stepped over toward the door.
Immediately I began bashing my head into the door frame until my face was bruised, bloody and swollen.  After several minutes of mercilessly smashing my face into the door, I finally reached the point where the pain in my face was more than the pain of navigating your site.  I returned to the desk and tried to continue my quest.
Visiting some sites is simply more painful than getting a root canal with a plastic spoon.
Is your site like that? Seriously, is it?
If you’re wondering why nobody visits your site then maybe it’s because it’s so painful for people to visit it that they would rather play leap frog with a unicorn.  The male readers understand what I’m talking about on that last one.
Don’t get your feelings hurt thinking about this.  We all have to learn and grow.  That’s part of life.  In fact, that’s why Site Sketch 101 exists… to help you transform your site into something beautiful.
So study, work hard, and get better.

The 15 Deadliest Web Traffic Killers in 2011

Here’s a few things I noticed at your site that really made my eyes bleed.
  1. You don’t post enough: One of the fastest ways to get even your regulars to start abandoning you and your site is to simply stop posting.
  2. Your titles bore us to tears: All I can say on this one is to read this article, 15 Tips to Awesome, Eye-Jerking Post Titles.
  3. You punch people in the face with ads: We all understand the desire to profit from your online ventures but there’s a tasteful way to make it happen.
  4. Your site is ugly: First impressions are lasting impressions and your lasting impression is disgust.
  5. You ignore your readers: If folks leave you a comment, it’s always a great idea to try to respond as much as you are able.
  6. You write like a 2nd grader: Spend some time each day learning how to improve your mastery of the English language.
  7. You’re all over the place: It’s okay to mix in a little variety, but a new design every week and random content will chase people away.
  8. You write the same thing everyone else writes: If people can get the same information somewhere else, why should they visit your site?
  9. Your content doesn’t live up to the headlines: You write a headline that offer 15 tips and then you only provide 9.
This is just a quick list.  But hopefully you get the point.  If you’re here at Site Sketch 101, then I hope that it’s to find out how to fix up your website or blog. I’ve laid out in cold, hardcore, brutal honesty the way to take your site to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment